Wednesday 10 August 2011

A Tom Feiler True Story: Danger Bay

I recently made a trip to my friend Joe's cottage.  It’s been years since I was there last and taking some new images I noticed, nothing much has changed. Which is all right by me. 







Nostalgic, it reminded me of a story that happened out on this very lake. Joe’s cottage was always a place that we looked forward to going to in high school. It meant nature, independence, some old Stock Ale and for me, a canoe trip with my friend Rudy.


These canoe trips would most often lead to us simply getting lost. But on one particular trip it lead to…danger. At this time, I think it's important to note that a Ouija board did once reveal to me that I was very close to death. 


I won’t trouble you further with all the details. But I would like to impart some very important lessons.
  1. Never cross the middle of a lake in an aluminum canoe during a thunderstorm. Even if you think it would make a shorter trip.
  2. River otters can hypnotize you if you look them in the eyes. 
  3. Finally, when you’re in the middle of the lake, during a fast approaching thunderstorm and you happen to see people are on the shore waving… never use your paddles to wave back.
The Ouija board never lies.